Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Log House Update - July 31, 2012

    I have been very lax with postings to this Blog so I am catching up tonight.

    I had a question asked about what a "Chinkless Fit" was. In a typical log cabin, the logs were notched on each end and there was space between the logs the entire length, this space was "Chinked" with mud, moss, cement, etc. The chinking could be from 2 inches to 5 inches wide. The top picture here shows a corner of the house. I use a product called "Log Jam" to put a bead of caulk about 3/8 inches wide to cover the seam between the logs.


    In the bottom picture, you can see what the seams look like before I apply the "Log Jam". If I am doing a great job scribing the logs and cutting them to shape with the chain saw, you would not be able to get a credit card between the two logs. I have some this close, but not all. The difference in color between the two pictures is one was in direct sunlight, the other was in the shade.


No comments:

Post a Comment