Friday, June 8, 2012

Deck Railing Progress - June 8th, 2012

   Yesterday I finished peeling all the deck railing posts and all but three of the rails. The poles I cut last week looked straighter in the mountains that they do on the peeling rack. I will have to go back for a few more rails. I scribed and carved out each post so they fit tight to the vertical log supports. Each post is labeled with its position on the deck.



    The second picture shows the final fit. I ran a double string line along each side of the deck to help position the posts in relation to the vertical logs. I spaced each post 1/4 inch above the decking so water on the deck cannot wick up into the posts causing damage. I also made sure that each post was as close to vertical as possible. This will make the top and bottom rails in each section the same length, and the spindles will have uniform gaps at both ends on each section.


    The next step is to strap the two posts for each section in place and determine the rail length for that section. I will then pick out the rails, cut them to length, and determine where the two holes should be drilled for the bottom rail. These holes I will drill while the posts are strapped to the log supports. Once the spindles are installed in both upper and lower rails, I will be able to determine where the top holes should be drilled.

    The weather forecast for the next two days is a high of 52 and rain. I'm looking forward to summer!



2 comments:

  1. lookin good! we always knew you were good at sawing logs father, glad we dont have to throw pillows at you this time haha!

    -lindsey

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I saw logs at night with nobody else in the house, do I actually make any sound?

    ReplyDelete