Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Side decks close to completion July 13, 2011

Today we finished the west side of the deck. This portion is about 52 feet long and 10 feet wide. It was a little tricky getting the last board installed against the base of the house. The sill logs extend beyond the edge of the basement walls.

The second photo shows the progress on the east side deck. This portion of the deck is the same size as the west side. I plan to complete the east side tomorrow and begin the portion of the deck on the front of the house.


The front section of the deck is the final phase for the deck board installation. The dimensions are 36 feet long by 10 feet wide. There are 4 poles I have to scribe out.

I bought a lumber straightener a few weeks ago to help keep the 2 X 6's straight as I screw them down. It appears the longer they stay stacked together, the more bends they develop. I broke the tool today. Triple S in Butte replaced it at no charge. I also had to buy more deck screws. I started out with 42 pounds; I purchased 10 more pounds today.

Once the decking is completed I plan to install and wire in the can lights over the deck. With these completed I can begin installing the soffits over the deck. I will need to get back to tiling the shower at some point very soon.

2 comments:

  1. The deck looks great -- all the finishing is creating a great effect with different woods and textures.

    The tiling is a different scale and scope -- a narrower focus and more subtle results -- it will take a shift in mindset to take that on. Just remember to gain -- a working shower!

    ReplyDelete