Friday, August 27, 2010

Installing windows And doors, Aug 27, 2010

Today I started installing windows and doors. The first windows I installed were the three 5' by 5' sliders in the dormers. It was a quite windy today so it was a little challenging getting them in place by myself. I used the lift to get them on the roof.
I installed one door on the main floor and a 6 ft by 4 ft picture window in the family room. I made a mistake and did not allow for the 2" X 6" frame on the top and bottom of the window, so I had to cut the top flat twice. You would not believe the amount of sawdust the chainsaw throws out when you do a rip cut.

When I bought the windows, they only had 2 - 4' X 4' windows, which is just what I needed for the main floor. The 4 - 4' X 4' windows that I sheeted over in the gables will have to be completed next year. The dealer said they would not be in until the end of the year.

I also need a 4' X 3' window, and a 4' X 3.5' window for the main floor. They were out of stock on these also, so I will frame these windows out with 2 X 6s and sheet them over with OSB for the winter. Next year I will install them when I install the windows in the gables.

I will probably be framing out the last 3 doors on the main floor and sheeting them over with OSB for the winter. At this point, the house will be completely dried in.

No comments:

Post a Comment