Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Peeling rack, June 23, 2009

Today I built the log peeling rack. I used the base of four trees that Myles and I picked up from a logging operation in Elk Park. I cut the bases and buried each base about a foot deep. I then used a laser level to measure the height of lowest one, which was about at the perfect height. I marked the other three at the same height and cut them level with the chain saw. I scribed the tops of the bases so the cross logs were eight inches above the tops of the bases, and notched them out with the chain saw so they don't move from side to side. I started peeling the first log you see on the rack.
I placed the next largest log on the rack before I left tonight. The cross logs barely moved with this weight in the middle, and the bases are solid. Let the body building begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment